Wednesday…Hot? Cold? Who Knows

 - I want to know how aging singers, songwriters, etc, handle being on the road. Gene Watson for example is 80, playing 200+ shows a year. Kris Kristofferson is 87. Dozens of examples…but how do they do this when I, at 67, can’t walk across the parking lot sometimes.  

- Today’s most absurd viewing: saw a Fender Stratocaster body, with NOTHING else, manufactured 1975…no pickups, no necks, no hardware, nothing, just the piece of cut wood…on sale for $1500. Seriously people, stop it.

- The Texas Teacher Retirement System (TRS) is a decent enough organization until one quits working for  schools district. Got an annual notice the other day saying since my account has been dormant for two or more years, they don’t pay any interest on the small saving. I’m pretty sure THEY are still drawing interest for their coffers, but I won’t see any of that.

So I called, and after navigating voice mails for 15 minutes finally got hold of a human.  She said she’d sent the necessary paperwork, but advised that cashing in I’d lose my years of longevity. Since I’m 100% retired from “honest” employment, with ZERO chance of working in a school again…told her that’s fine. 

Of course MY money is subject to a 20% withholding, not an insignificant amount. BOHICA

- Seen: all mushrooms are edible, but some mushrooms are edible only once.  This is why I don’t eat them, can’t risk it

- During last Saturday’s football game, some dumb guy heckled a Texas Southern player. Not a ball player, a TUBA PLAYER! During the unfortunate encounter, said tuba player knocked said heckler on his ass. Seriously, how ignorant does one need to be to heckle a tuba player? 

- The producers of the 35 yr old cartoon series The Simpsons announced Homer will no longer choke out young innocent Bart. I don’t know how many actual fathers were influenced by a cartoon to consider choking their sons, but now that 1 in 11 billion will be safe…safe from everything except this kind of stupidity 

- I’m not a fan of political polls. At best, they are snapshots of opinions and/indicators of how people will vote in the future. At worst they are blatant matters of election interference, with numbers warped out of reality to promote a candidate/issue. Voluntary ‘Jump on the bandwagon’ ended for me before I had my driver’s license, as how others view things is not going to influence how I feel about those things. 

Be unique, just like everyone else? I’ll pass

- I’m on the road this week, so no Friday edition

- Final thought today. to the imbeciles preaching (more like screaming, rioting, etc) an Israeli cease fire, I say to the people in Gaza, hostile or not, I offer the oldest advise in the world: don’t start no shit, won’t be no shit.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but moderated. If you want to argue, go elsewhere. If you’d like to comment, please do!

Wednesday

 - SCOTUS unanimously stated states do NOT have Constitutional authority to prohibit national candidates.  The thing that amazes me is it to...